Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Sudan
Watch live

At least 62 Sudanese demonstrators killed since the October coup

Throwing back a tear gas canister, Khartoum, January 9 (Social media)
Throwing back a tear gas canister, Khartoum, January 9 (Social media)

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors reported the death of a 26-year-old demonstrator during Marches of the Millions in Khartoum on Sunday. Another young man, seriously injured during street protests on Thursday, died today as well.

Ali Hubeldin died after he was hit by a tear gas canister in the neck in Khartoum today. Alaeldin Adel (17) who was treated in the intensive care department of a hospital in Khartoum, as a result of being shot in the neck during protest marches in Omdurman on Thursday, succumbed to his wounds today, bringing the total number of demonstrators killed after the coup d'état under the leadership of Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan on October 25 last year to 62.

Tens of thousands of people again joined the Marches of the Millions called for by resistance committees active in neighbourhoods and villages in Sudan. Protesters in Khartoum, Wad Madani in El Gezira, Ed Damazin in Blue Nile state, El Obeid in North Kordofan, Port Sudan in Red Sea state, and Atbara in River Nile state denounced the October 25 military coup, and called for an entire civilian government.

Security forces confronted protesters heading to the Republican Palace in central Khartoum with excessive violence. The abundant use of tear gas and stun grenades led to dozens of injuries and cases of breathing problems.

In advance, the security forces already closed the Blue Nile bridge, the White Nile bridge and the Mak Nimir bridge, and kept the old Omdurman bridge, the Ingaz bridge, and the Soba and Halfaya bridges open. Internet and phone connections were closed again.

The Medical Bodies Coordination organised a protest sit-in at the El Jawda Hospital in El Diyoum El Shargiya and the Khartoum Teaching Hospital in the centre of the city, calling for an end to the repeated violence of government forces against health facilities and medical staff.

In eastern Sudan’s El Gedaref, a woman and a child were injured in demonstrations on Sunday. Bakheet Abdallah, member of the El Gedaref branch of the Sudanese Professional Association, told Radio Dabanga that “the brutal repression of the massive protests yesterday resulted in a child being hit on the head by a tear gas canister and a woman injured in the leg when she was run over by a military vehicle.  

The large demonstrations in El Obeid, capital of North Kordofan took place without intervention from the police. Resistance Committee member Mohamed Ahmed reported that the protesters gathered at the town market and headed to the house of Tawfig Yaqoub in the El Rahma neighbourhood, who died during the demonstrations in Omdurman on January 6.

Back to overview