A start has been made with the implementation of the Darfur security arrangements as stipulated in the October 2020 Juba Peace Agreement. Large groups of militants are gathering again in areas north of El Geneina, capital of West Darfur, where a car driver was shot dead last week.
Deputy Operations Chief of Staff Lt Gen Khaled El Shami on Thursday announced the start of the implementation of the security arrangements as agreed by the Sudanese government and the Sudan Revolutionary Front rebel alliance in the South Sudanese capital Juba in 2020.
About 3,300 former rebel combatants and regular soldiers started a joint training at a new military training camp in El Fasher, capital of North Darfur, on Thursday.
In a joint press conference in El Fasher on Thursday, El Shami said that the first phase consists of training the forces in order to form a joint security force with special tasks in Darfur.
North Darfur Governor Nimir Abdelrahman said that four former rebel movements sent their fighters with their equipment to the new military training camp. The combatants of the Sudan Liberation Movement faction headed by Minni Minawi are expected to arrive in the coming days.
The governor expressed his hope that “the High Committee for Security Arrangements will also be able to take the necessary practical measures and steps to address the situation in the Two Areas (South Kordofan and Blue Nile state), until a national army with a unified military professionalism has been established”.