‘NCP sabotage plotters’ held in Khartoum raid
Nine leading members of the dissolved National Congress Party (NCP) and the Islamic Movement, were arrested in Khartoum North on Thursday, Sudan’s Minister of Information has confirmed.
The suspects are accused of plotting to carry out ‘hostile movements’ to sabotage today’s ‘March of Millions’ in commemoration of the December uprising that led to the ousting of President Omar Al Bashir in April 2019, and the formation of a civilian government five months later.
A press statement by the Minister of Information yesterday confirms that on Thursday afternoon, a joint Military Intelligence and General Intelligence Service force raided a house in Kafouri in Khartoum North and held the nine men who were allegedly holding a coordination meeting.
The decision to raid the house was made “after receiving reliable information about the meeting taking place”. The Public Prosecution was notified, and two public prosecutors participated in the detention of the group and questioned them.
The statement lists those held as Abdelgadir Zain, Secretary of the Islamic Movement in Khartoum state, retired security officer Gen Omar Nimir, former commissioner of Khartoum locality, Zeinelabdin, Mohamed El Nagar, Khalid Kheir, Musab Abdelbagi, Kabashi Khaled, Mustafa Mousa, in addition to Fathelrahman Ibrahim, who was guarding the meeting.
On Monday, Sovereign Council member Maj Gen Shamseldin Kabashi told reporters in Khartoum that more arrests are taking place. He said the authorities have information about “certain parties” planning to sabotage today’s marches.
Hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the streets in cities, towns, and villages over the length and breadth of Sudan today, in mass demonstrations to commemorate the protestors killed during the December uprising that led to the overthrow of the Omar Al Bashir regime in April 2019, and the formation of a civilian government five months later.
The Governor of Khartoum, Yousef El Dei, said earlier that information was available about plans to drag the June 30 celebrations “to the abyss of chaos”. The government has prepared a security plan “to vigorously tackle any manifestation of violence”.
Radio Dabanga’s editorial independence means that we can continue to provide factual updates about political developments to Sudanese and international actors, educate people about how to avoid outbreaks of infectious diseases, and provide a window to the world for those in all corners of Sudan. Support Radio Dabanga for as little as €2.50, the equivalent of a cup of coffee.
Back to overview