Tribal clash instigators arrested in East Darfur
Authorities in East Darfur arrested people who are accused of being involved or instigating in the recent tribal clashes between the Rizeigat and Habaniya in El Ferdous locality on Wednesday.
Deputy Governor Ali El Tahir Sharif said that “the criminals who have been arrested will be brought to justice and tried according to the law”. The clashes erupted in the last couple of weeks. But in the beginning of July, Sharif already pledged to mobilise native administration leaders of both tribes to contain the situation, and prevent it from developing into a full-fledged tribal war.
East Darfur Governor Anas Omar Mohamed Fadl-Mula told the press that the tribal conflict has become a threat to the state security. Therefore, his government has taken precautionary measures to deploy armed forces, police, and security to address the issue.
Fadl-Mula pointed out that the state government will especially make efforts to provide security during the season in which the nomadic herders move from south to north. This along with opening the graze tracks, in order to prevent frictions with farmers.
At least 176 people were killed and dozens wounded last week in fighting which broke out between Rizeigat and Habaniya tribesmen in South Darfur's Sunta locality, that borders East Darfur. The fighting erupted after a gunfight between cattle rustlers and a “rescue team”. More than 130 Rizeigat and 40 Habaniya were killed, sources reported, as the Habaniya village of Abyad Tabaldiya burned to the ground entirely. Since last week, both parties have mobilised and gathered their fighters in the area.
Back to overview