Three protestors killed, 30-40 injured in Sudan demos

The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors (CCSD) reported the killing of three protesters during the 24 March of Millions on Monday, two in Khartoum and the third in Wad Madani.

Demonstrations in Khartoum (Photo: Social media)

The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors (CCSD) reported the killing of three protesters during the March of Millions on Monday, two in Khartoum and the third in Wad Madani.

According to the CCSD, both Mohamed El Eish, (23) and Sabit Bashir (22), were killed in Khartoum by live ammunition. El Eish was fired upon and hit in the chest. Bashir died from a gunshot wound to the head. In Wad Madani, Gasim Mohamed, in his twenties, died from a direct gunshot to his head and shoulder during the anti-coup protests. CCSD is investigating reported injuries from Monday’s protests and will release the finalised detailed report in due course.

The Socialist Doctors Association reported that the number of injuries using live ammunition, rubber bullets, and tear gas resulted in between 30 and 40 injuries. Including six bullet wounds (four in Khartoum and two in Omdurman), some of them in critical condition, in addition to rubber bullet injuries and tear gas suffocation.

The Joint Doctors Office reported yesterday that government forces deliberately impeded the arrival of injured in the January 24 demonstrations to hospitals on Monday evening.

The office said in a statement, the forces stationed near the Royal Care Hospital in Imtidad Nasir, near Burri in Khartoum, fired live ammunition to impede the treatment of the injured, which caused panic for patients and medical staff alike.

The office asserted in their statement, that the attack on hospitals is a clear violation of national and international health laws and norms, and a clear violation of the right to life. “This behaviour has been repeated constantly since the coup.”

In El Gezira, three protesters were injured by tear gas canisters. Witnesses told Radio Dabanga that Khartoum demonstrations heading to the Republican Palace and the Omdurman protest marches in El Arbaeen Street faced excessive violence, as armed forces used live ammunition, tear gas and, stun grenades.

They said that the police and the paramilitary Central Reserve Forces, originally deployed against the rebel movements in Darfur, fired live ammunition and tear gas at protesters in the densely populated neighbourhood of Burri in eastern Khartoum.

Sources reported that the police and the Central Reserve Forces used live ammunition, while chasing the demonstrators inside the neighbourhoods.

On Monday, tens of thousands of people demonstrated in Sudan, in massive demonstrations in response to the calls of the resistance committees for the January 24 March of Millions, to reject the military coup and demand full civilian rule as well as the return of the army to their barracks.

Khartoum demonstrations set off towards the Republican Palace, while marches in Khartoum North (Bahri) headed to the Kilo station in Halfaya, and Omdurman demonstrations moved toward El Arbaeen street to the White Nile bridge.

The resistance committees active in the neighbourhoods of Khartoum North organised public speeches, where they reviewed their programme to resist the coup authorities.

In Khartoum, hundreds of policemen were stationed on El Gasr Street to obstruct the progress of the procession towards the Republican Palace. The demonstrators in Omdurman and Khartoum barricaded a number of main to protect demonstrators from a government force attack.

In Wad Madani, capital of El Gezira, thousands of demonstrators participated in the March of Millions to honour killed protester, Mohamed Feisal, and chanted for the overthrow of the military coup. The processions headed towards the house of Feisal, also called for the retribution for all protesters killed since the military coup of October 25.

A number of activists addressed the crowds, stressing the peacefulness of the revolution, calling for the immediate release of all detained protesters, including Mohamed Adam ‘Tubak’ and Ahmed El Fateh ‘En Nenna’, who have been charged with killing a police brigadier during the March of Millions on January 13.

Speakers at the stage of the procession announced their hope for the impending downfall of El Burhan’s coup in El Gezira.

The demonstrators also gathered in front of the house of the detainee Ahmed El Fateh, nicknamed En Nenna, chanting slogans calling for his release.

In Zalingei and Nyala in Darfur, El Obeid and Kadugli in Kordofan, Ed Damazin, Sennar and Kosti as well as in Port Sudan, Kassala and El Gedaref in eastern Sudan, people took to the streets to protest against the military coup of El Burhan.

In Dongola, Northern State, demonstrators headed towards the Sheryan El Shimal (Artery of the North) road linking Sudan and Egypt and blocked it completely.

Authorities launched a massive detention campaign against members of the resistance committees in Khartoum prior to the start of the January 24 protest processions.

On Sunday evening, military forces held four members of the ten resistance committees in Khartoum: El Hasan Yahya, Ezzeldin El Mubarak, Mohamed Dafallah and Mujahid Babikir.

Witnesses explained to Radio Dabanga that the detainees were subjected to severe beatings and verbal abuse before being taken to an unknown location.

On Sunday, military forces detained lawyer, Badreldin Adam, in his office in Soug Sitta market in the Mayo neighbourhood of southern Khartoum.

The Southern Belt Resistance Committees stated that government forces “riding in four white Land Cruisers without number plates” raided their office in Mayo.

Witnesses said that during the 24 January demonstrations in Khartoum, an activist was taken to an unknown location and was then locked inside a car, while tear gas canisters were fired inside the vehicle until he fainted.

The death toll among civilians since the military coup d’état of October 25 last year, now stands at 76.