Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Sudan
Watch live

Three dead, nine injured in Darfur attacks

June 9 - 2015 DARFUR
Gunman in Darfur (file photo)
Gunman in Darfur (file photo)

In various gunmen attacks in South and North Darfur over the weekend, three people were killed. Nine others sustained various injuries.

In Dereig camp, near Nyala, capital of South Darfur, a displaced man was shot dead, and four others were injured on Saturday.

A camp sheikh told Radio Dabanga that at about 9 pm, during the Champions League football match between Juventus and Barcelona, a group of gunmen raided the camp’s TV club.

“They opened fire at the spectators, killing Salaheldin Abdallah Mohamed (25) instantly, and wounding four others, among them two basic school students,” he said.

Another man was killed near El Kawkab Sport Club in El Wadi district in Nyala. The commissioner of Nyala locality, El Sunni Mohamed Ahmed, downplayed the attacks, attributing them to the football match.

In the area of Joghana in South Darfur Gireida locality, a militiaman stabbed secondary school student Abakar El Tom Ibrahim. A relative of the student told Radio Dabanga that the victim was taken to the Joghana hospital for treatment of six stab wounds.

A resident of Rwanda camp for the displaced in Tawila locality, North Darfur, was shot dead on Sunday. Omda Mukhtar Bosh reported to Radio Dabanga that three militiamen opened fire on Adam Ali Nimir while he was tending his farmland in the area of Shakshoko, west of Tawila town. “He died on the spot.”

Bosh said that the militiamen have threatened to kill anyone in the locality, who goes out to work on their farm. “They said that all the land outside the towns and villages are pastures”.

On Monday, a group of gunmen hijacked a pick-up truck, carrying four passengers, on the Zamzam-Tabit road in North Darfur. One of the victims told Radio Dabanga that armed men riding on camels ambushed the vehicle, loaded with various goods, while it was on its way from the Zamzam market to Tabit.

“They stopped us at gunpoint, and ordered us to disembark, after which they beat us severely with their whips. They then robbed us of our money and mobile telephones, took the car, and fled,” he said.



Back to overview