♦ Sudan: This week's news in brief ♦
A compact weekly digest of Dabanga Sudan's news highlights from Darfur and Sudan
June 18 - 2020 KHARTOUM Sudan’s Security and Defence Council has extended the Covid-19 lockdown in Khartoum for another ten days, until June 29.
The Sudanese Ministry of Health reported 280 new coronavirus cases as of Monday, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 8,020.
The Ministry of Labour and Social Development is distributing ATM cards in support of vulnerable families. Each card is loaded with an amount of SDG 3,000 for every poor working woman affected by the lockdown.
Awadiya Kuku, head of the Women Food and Beverage Sellers Union said in an interview with Radio Dabanga’s Kandaka programme that focuses on women’s issues, that they received more than 1,500 cards that all have been distributed.
In coordination with the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Labour, Mohamed El Shabik, the union will receive about 3,000 more cards.
The women will receive the same amount on their ATM card each month. The association also received a number of cart boxes containing supplies.
Kuku said that there are about 42,000 women working as food or beverage seller in Khartoum. Efforts are underway to conduct an inventory in the other 17 states of Sudan.
In 2016, Kuku received the US Secretary of State’s International Women of Courage Award in acknowledgement of her work.
June 16 - 2020 KHARTOUM Sudan’s Attorney General, Tajelsir El Hibir says that the remaining International Criminal Court (ICC) suspects might not necessarily stand trial in The Hague, because of “sovereignty and other legal issues”.
In a press conference on Monday, El Hibir told reporters that the decision to transfer the ICC suspects needs more consultation and time. He confirmed that all four ICC suspects are currently in custody.
It might not be necessary for internationally indicted persons to stand trial physically in The Hague. “It is not the first time international prosecutions will be held outside the ICC. Arusha and Lebanon are good examples,” he said.
In December last year, Sudan prosecution issued several arrest warrants against alleged perpetrators of the crimes committed in Darfur, including former Janjaweed leader Ali Kushayb.
On Monday, Kushayb made his first appearance before ICC Judge Rosario Salvatore Aitala in The Hague to hear charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity. He was arrested in the Central African Republic (CAR) last week and transferred to ICC custody.
More news from Radio Dabanga:
June 22 - 2020 KHARTOUM / JUBA According to the timetable set by the South Sudanese mediation team, the Sudanese government and the armed rebel movements should have signed a peace agreement on Saturday. ...
June 21 - 2020 KHARTOUM Sudan’s Ministry of Animal Resources has announced that 20,000 sheep have been exported to the Gulf region representing an important source of hard currency for the state treasury. ...
June 21 - 2020 KHARTOUM Sudan is to establish a special unit to combat violence against women aimed to improve conditions for women, to protect them, and preserve their dignity. The transitional government is also drafting ...
June 20 - 2020 CAMBRIDGE, UK With the surrender, transfer to The Hague and first appearance before the International Criminal Court in The Hague of former Darfur janjaweed leader Ali Abdelrahman (‘Kushayb’) last week, ...
June 19 - 2020 LAGAWA The native administrations of the two parties to the recent clashes that erupted between Nuba and Misseriya tribesmen in Lagawa in West Kordofan and led to several deaths and injuries, signed a ...
June 18 - 2020 KHARTOUM / KASSALA / SARAF OMRA The annual inflation rate in Sudan surged 114.33 per cent in May, compared to 98.81 per cent in April, according to Sudan’s Central Statistics Bureau. The Sudanese Pound ...
June 17 - 2020 MUKJAR / EL GENEINA More than 25,000 people commemorated yesterday the massacre of 79 people in Mukjar locality in Central Darfur on March 2, 2004, allegedly carried out by Ali Abdelrahman (aka Ali ...
June 16 - 2020 KHARTOUM Sudan’s Public Prosecution Service has confirmed the discovery of a mass grave in El Elafon district in Khartoum state. The dozens of bodies are presumed to be of students who were forced into ...
This digest is an excerpt from the weekly Sudan News Update. Subscribe here to receive the newsletter directly in your inbox.
Radio Dabanga’s editorial independence means that we can continue to provide factual updates about political developments to Sudanese and international actors, educate people about how to avoid outbreaks of infectious diseases, and provide a window to the world for those in all corners of Sudan. Support Radio Dabanga for as little as €2.50, the equivalent of a cup of coffee.
Back to overview