The Sudanese Central Committee of Doctors announced that next week they will resume their strike for two days a week.
On 6 October, doctors and medical professionals in various parts of Sudan embarked on an open-ended strike. They demanded protection while working, a pay rise, and better working conditions. A week later the medical staff of 136 state hospitals had joined the action.
After reaching an agreement with the Vice-President and the federal Minister of Health Bahar Abu Garda on 20 October, the doctors temporarily called off the strike. Last week, they extended the suspension to give the government more time to implement its commitments.
Dr Hossam El Ameen El Badawi, the spokesman for the Doctors’ Committee, told Radio Dabanga that the physicians will resume their strike for two days next Tuesday. “We will continue to down tools two days every week throughout the month. Emergencies, critical situations, and intensive care treatment in the wards will be continued.”
He explained that the authorities have not kept their commitment to provide the much needed medical equipment and medicines to about 22 hospitals in the country, and provision of free treatment in emergencies and for children under five.
“They also failed to reinstate the doctors dismissed during the strike,”El Badawi said. “Instead, three more doctors were dismissed from the Kassala Hospital. They refused to sign a humiliating statement in which they had to commit themselves not to strike. They were threatened to be deployed as accompanying medics at military operations’ convoys.”
The Committee will expand the strike if medics are subjected to any harassment by the authorities. “All options are open,” the doctor warned.