A man who was injured in a raid by armed men in Sortony, a site for tens of thousands of people who have been displaced from Jebel Marra, has succumbed to his wounds on Wednesday night.
The coordinator of the Kabkabiya camps told Radio Dabanga that Sadig Atim Rahma was injured in a fight between militiamen and displaced people on Monday evening. His passing away brings the number of dead from Monday's attacks to six. Ten other people, including two children, were wounded.
Unamid peacekeepers engaged with the attackers, reportedly armed tribesmen from the area, and exchanged gunfire, forcing them to flee. An Ethiopian peacekeeper sustained an injury during the confrontation. They managed to apprehend two of the attackers.
The coordinator added that the militiamen have blocked the transport on the road that links Sortony and Kabkabiya for six consecutive days. “The people in Sortony are suffering because they have no access to drinking water, relief food, and other goods.”
The coordinator called on Unamid to re-open the road and re-establish the transport of water. The UN's humanitarian office (OCHA) reported this week that because of the tensions, water was not trucked from Kabkabiya to Sortony on 8 May, with only 40,000 litres of water fetched from a nearby water source in Kubi. On daily average, 250,000 litres of water are trucked to Sortony.
The UN and the African Union Commission have condemned the deadly attacks by armed locals in Sortony. As previously reported by Radio Dabanga, witnesses said that militiamen, driving three vehicles mounted with Dushka machineguns and others on camels and horses, attacked the eastern side of Sortony at 6pm on Monday. They seized a number of cows from the camp residents, claiming that the animals belong to them.
The attackers wounded Ahmed Adam, Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed, Fadil Ibrahim Abdallah and her brother Jaranebi Ibrahim Abdallah. A witness reported to this station that members of the militia raped two women aged 19 and 20 during the raid east of Sortony.