Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Darfur and Sudan
Watch live

‘Fierce fighting’ in battle for Al Dandor garrison, South Kordofan, Sudan

May 27 - 2013 KADUGLI

The Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) and the Sudanese Army both claim victory in fierce fighting that broke out on Sunday morning in the Al Dandor garrison east of Kadugli, capital of South Kordofan.

Arno Ngutulu Lodi, spokesman for the SPLA-N told Radio Dabanga that a joint SRF force of SLA Abdel Wahid Al Nur and SPLA-N troops – all part of the rebel coalition – clashed with government forces.

“Our joint forces launched an attack on the Al Dandor garrison and inflicted heavy losses on the government forces,” he said. “We shot down a Sudanese combat helicopter during the battle. We also captured a tank and two Land Cruisers loaded with weapons.” Lodi claims that “many Sudanese soldiers were killed”, but he could not give an exact number.

He asserted that the “SRF troops also destroyed a tank and two Land Cruiser vehicles loaded with weapons, for the loss of five SRF men killed in the battle”. Lodi appealed to the civilian population of Kadugli: “Keep away from military areas as these areas have become a target for the SRF forces.”

Speaking to Radio Dabanga from the field, Nimer Abdul Rahman, spokesman of the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) Abdel Wahid Al Nur, stated that the SRF force is now in control of the Al Dandor garrison and has “destroyed all military equipment and vehicles”.

He described the garrison as the “main security gate of the government in Kadugli”. The spokesman explained that the battle was “part of the New Dawn campaign; the new strategy of the SRF troops deployed in Darfur, North and South Kordofan and Blue Nile to topple the regime in Khartoum”.

Sudanese army spokesman, Col Al Sawarmi Khalid Saad, confirmed that “the armed forces were attacked by rebels on Sunday morning in the area of Al Dandor in South Kordofan”. However, Col Saad claimed that “the armed forces inflicted heavy losses on the rebels and their equipment”.

Col Saad added that the armed forces were “able to seize two tanks in good condition” and that “more than 70 rebels were killed in the battle and the remaining rebels were dispersed from the area”. He asserted that “the armed forces are now continuing their pursuit of the rebels and combing the area until security and stability is restored for the sake of the area’s population.”

File photo

Back to overview