Child dies of food poisoning in South Darfur
A child in Gireida, South Darfur, died of food poisoning on Thursday while others still suffer from the poisoning. Expired milk that was distributed to the schools is believed to be the cause.
The 10-year-old Abdelwahid Abakr Abu Shanab and his fellow pupils at two basic schools in Gireida, named Komboni and El Salam, were intoxicated after eating a meal and drinking milk from the Sudanese organisation “Afak”. According to a father of one of the children, the milk was severely expired.
He said that the children suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting right after finishing the meals. “Dozens of students” were transferred to a hospital in Gireida, where Abdelwahid died.
Six pupils are still in the hospital in a critical condition. The others have been released.
Back to overview