Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Sudan
Watch live

Tribal fighting in West Kordofan and Central Darfur

July 13 - 2016 LAGAWA / UM DUKHUN
File photo: Member of the Rizeigat tribe in Darfur.
File photo: Member of the Rizeigat tribe in Darfur.

Armed members of the Misseriya tribe clashed in West Kordofan on Tuesday. Four people were killed in the exchange of gunfire. Offices and shops in Um Dukhun closed their doors in fear of reprisals by warring tribesmen.

The representative of the reconciliation's committee in Lagawa, Abdallah Tutu, told Radio Dabanga that gunmen opened fire on a group of nomads 3km west of Lagawa in the morning. The nomads returned fire, resulting in the killing of four people, including a woman. Five others were wounded and taken to Lagawa hospital.

“The cause of the accident goes back to an old retaliation between the two groups,” Tutu said. 

He pointed out that there was a great tension in the area, upon which the Lagawa security committee dispatched a police force in anticipation of an eruption of violence. There have been frequent reports about the gathering of relatives of both parties from Abu Zabad.
Tutu appealed via Radio Dabanga to the parties to exercise restraint and resort to the voice of reason. 

Um Dukhun

Government buildings, facilities and shops in Central Darfur's Um Dukhun were closed on Tuesday as a result of an attack by tribesmen on a resident at the market. People stayed in their homes in fear of reprisals.

A villager told Radio Dabanga that a joint force of Sudanese police and Chadian soldiers have spread in Um Dukhun in order to protect shops and secure the town from any possible new attacks, or clashes between the warring tribesmen.

The government of Central Darfur announced that the state security committee will arrive in Um Dukhun on Wednesday to contain the problem.

Um Dukhun was the scene of threats by three men suspected to plan suicide bombings one week ago.

Tribesmen of the Misseriya and Salamat clashed in the market of the town last April, resulting in the death of two tribe members.

Back to overview