‘Sudan Appeal forces should stop dialogue with govt.’: Abdel Wahid
The Sudan Appeal forces should stop their attempts to engage with the Sudanese government by peaceful meetings, and instead seek a regime-change by military means and a popular uprising, according to Abdel Wahid El Nur, leader of the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM-AW).
In an interview with Radio Dabanga, the SLM head and Co-Vice President of the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) rebel alliance, said that the refusal of the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) to accept the AU invitation for the pre-dialogue meeting in Addis Ababa last Sunday, “was not surprising, because the Khartoum regime has always undermined any genuine peace process or dialogue”.
“Contrary to the other members of the SRF, the SLM-AW has always rejected any dialogue with this regime. We have instead constantly demanded the uprooting of the NCP from the start,” he said, calling on the Sudan Appeal signatories, the SRF, the National Umma Party, the National Consensus Forces opposition parties coalition, and the Civil Society Initiative, “to lock the dialogue door, which has proved to be irrelevant, and topple the regime by popular and military revolts”.
He further ridiculed the participation of Sudanese forces in the Saudi offensive on the Houthi rebels in Yemen, launched last week. “Criminal Al Bashir, internationally wanted for numerous crimes against civilians in Darfur, has now announced his noble objective to protect the people in Yemen”.
El Nur demanded the Saudi King to isolate the Sudanese president, as “he and his NCP are co-responsible for the establishment of the Islamic state in Iraq and Syria”.
The Secretary-General of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), Yasir Arman, told Radio Dabanga in this regard that the Sudanese government only joined the offensive against the rebels in Yemen to improve its relations with the Arab and western world.
Arman stressed that the Sudanese regime is supporting terrorism since it came into power, “in close cooperation with Shiite Iran, while surviving by the proceeds generated from the war on terrorism”.
He claimed that Al Bashir was summoned to Saudi Arabia before the military campaign was to start last Wednesday, and given 72 hours to choose whether he would join the Saudi allies or support the Shiite Houthi fighters.
The rebel leader noted that he does not expect that the regime’s participation in the war against the Yemeni insurgents will prolong its rule, or improve its relations with the international community.
Back to overview