SPLM-N: ‘Sudan's armed forces violate ceasefire in South Kordofan’
The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) accuses Khartoum of violating its ceasefire in South Kordofan, as government forces attacked parts of Um Dorain locality with heavy artillery last week.
SPLM-N spokesman Arno Ngutulu Lodi told Radio Dabanga that army and paramilitary troops shelled rebel-held parts of Um Dorain with long-range mortars from the capital Kadugli.
“On Wednesday evening, they targeted the areas of Um Sardaba, El Tagra, Lobbo, and Tablo,”he said. “On Thursday morning, the Sudanese Air Force dropped 13 bombs on the same areas.”
He said the attacks caused a number of fires. “The people are terrified.”
According to Lodi, government forces began their military preparations in South Kordofan and Blue Nile, “marking the start of the government’s next campaign against the people in the Two Areas.
“This means that Al Bashir’s announcement of what he called a ceasefire is only propaganda, to mislead the public opinion,” he added.
In June this year, President Omar Al Bashir announced a four-month unilateral ceasefire for South Kordofan and the Blue Nile (the Two Areas). A few days later, it was extended to Darfur.
On 10 October, while addressing the closing session of the National Dialogue, the president announced an extension of the ceasefires until the end of the 2016.
Three of the four main Sudanese rebel movements reacted by announcing a cessation of hostilities until 30 April 2017. The Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdelwahid El Nur, however, continues to fight the government in Darfur’s Jebel Marra area.
Back to overview