Port Sudan strikers block all roads to port
Workers in Port Sudan continue to strike to demand the acceleration of the procedures for their permanent contracts, which were due to begin at the start of May 2019.
The temporary workers of the Sea Ports Corporation have closed all roads leading to the ports in Port Sudan. The sit-in, protesting the reluctance of the corporation in the implementation of the decision of their agreement, has entered its third day.
Journalist Osman Hashim told Radio Dabanga that work at the port has declined significantly due to the closure of the entrances and the strike of temporary workers.
He explained that the workers have set up tents on the main roads, pointing to the continuation of the strike until the publication of the lists of all workers who have been appointed permanent contracts.
He said that the sit-in has affected the general movement in the city, pointing to the solidarity of the port workers with temporary workers.
Osman Tahir, the workers’ leader in the ports, told Radio Dabanga that the protestors began to strike because the administration failed to publish weekly lists with personnel on Tuesday, pointing out that last week the administration agreed to publish lists with 750 employees and workers per week to begin the recruitment process.
As reported by Radio Dabanga in April, the Sea Ports Corporation in Red Sea state announced a decision to appoint all temporary workers of the corporation into permanent service effective May 1.
Our editorial independence means that we can continue to provide factual updates about ongoing protests to Sudanese and international actors, educate people about how to avoid outbreaks of cholera, and provide a window to the world for those in all corners of Sudan. Support Radio Dabanga for as little as €2.50, the equivalent of a cup of coffee.
Back to overview