Demonstrator dead, many injured as Sudan forces quell Khartoum march

A 62-year-old man has died, and dozens of people injured, after Sudanese security forces used ‘unprecedented violence and force’ against peaceful demonstrators in the Sudan capital. Demonstrations of solidarity have occurred worldwide.

Demonstration in Washington DC this weekend

A 62-year-old man has died, and dozens of people injured, after Sudanese security forces used ‘unprecedented violence and force’ against peaceful demonstrators in the Sudan capital. Demonstrations of solidarity have occurred worldwide.

On Sunday, hundreds of Sudanese in Khartoum North took to the streets again in response to the call of the Sudanese Professionals Association and other signatories to the Declaration of Freedom and Change. Security forces faced the demonstrators, taking part in “The March of the Martyrs”, and used “unprecedented excessive force” including tear gas, electric wires, and batons.

A 62-year-old fruit seller Osman Abubakir reportedly died after choking on tear gas, and many others were wounded. Dozens of protestors were detained.

Despite the violent security crackdown, demonstrations continued in the districts of Duyoum Bahri, El Shaabiya, El Mazad, Shambat, and El Haj Yousef.

Burri in Khartoum and El Abbasiya in Omdurman also witnessed protest marches. In Wad Madani, capital of El Gezira, and Port Sudan in Red Sea state people staged similar demonstrations demanding the overthrow of the regime.

On the international level, Washington DC, London, Berlin, and Melbourne witnessed protests organised by hundreds of Sudanese abroad in support of the Sudanese revolution, which entered its third month demanding the overthrown El Bashir and his regime from power.


Washington saw the largest Sudanese demonstration in the USA ever against the ruling regime in Khartoum.

Hundreds of Sudanese marched in front of the Congress to the White House amid cries for the overthrow of the regime and the immediate step-down of El Bashir from power.

Sudanese President Omar Al Bashir said that current crises and difficulties Sudan is going through are tests from which it will get stronger. He said that power has not been an end for itself.

Al Bashir told a conference of the Islamic Movement’s Shura Council on Saturday “Those who are talking about freedoms and are demonstrating against the government are freely organising their press conferences”.

He pointed out that throughout “the march of the Salvation Regime [the government under his rule], there is nothing to be ashamed of or hide from anyone.


On Sunday, the Legislative, Justice and Human Rights Committee of the Parliament announced the formation of fact-finding committees concerning the violence used against demonstrators in the country, and warned that the committees members will make field visits to various states to inspect those affected by the events.

Deputy-chairman of the Committee, Azhari Widatallah, said that they visited the Attorney-General and stood on the investigation, pointing out that the law will take its course in order to achieve justice.

He said one committee would visit Dongola and Merowe in Northern State on Monday. Other committees would visit El Gedaref and River Nile state on Wednesday.

Sudan uprising

On 19 December 2018, rising bread and fuel prices sparked protests in Atbara in North-Eastern Sudan. In less than a week’s time, the anti-government protests spread across the entire country and were answered with brutal violence by the Sudanese security forces. Multiple sources have confirmed that tear gas and live ammunition is being used against demonstrators. Human Rights Watch reported that Sudanese activists estimate at least 50 people have been killed since the start of the protests.