Central Darfur displaced request return of food rations
Leaders of the Hamidiya camp for the displaced in Central Darfur have requested the World Food Programme (WFP) to reconsider the results of a survey last year concerning the need for food aid among the camp residents.
Two years ago, the WFP started a survey among the displaced in a number of Darfur camps determining the standard of living of the households in three categories: eligible for regular food rations, eligible for food aid every six months, and ineligible. The survey was completed early this year. About one third of the camps' population would not receive rations any more.
In response, the elders in the Hamidiya camp formed “Appeal Committees” that looked into the cases of 6,942 families dropped from the food rations lists, El Shafee Abdallah, coordinator of the Central Darfur camps, told Radio Dabanga on Friday.
He said that the committees submitted a report to the WFP requesting to return food rations cards to 2,082 of the families re-surveyed. “The WFP, however, agreed to return cards to 772 families only,” he said.
The WFP provided food assistance to 1.4 million displaced in 50 Darfur camps last year.
The UN food assistance agency has suffered from a lack of funds during recent years. For 2016, WFP expected a shortfall of $9.2 million, out the $20 million of yearly requirements to assist about 80 million people in around 80 countries.
Back to overview