'97 died in capture of North Darfur town': rebels
The joint Darfur rebel forces claimed that a total of 97 forces died in the assault on Mellit, North Darfur, on Thursday. Dozens of others were wounded.
The spokesman for the rebels, Adam Saleh Abakar, told Radio Dabanga that in addition, three rebel troops were killed, and eight others wounded.
“The joint rebel forces seized 11 Land Cruisers loaded with various weapons, three launchers (caliber 107), 150 rocket launchers (caliber 107), 200 mortars, and ammunition and light weapons”, he added. “We destroyed nine other vehicles.”
A member of the advisory office of the Governor of North Darfur, Ibrahim Mohamed Mahmoud Shahid, said that ten civilians and 78 armed forces were killed. “Including a lieutenant colonel, a captain, and two carrying the rank of lieutenant.”
Mahmoud said they destroyed three cars, and killed about nine of the rebel forces. He noted that the attack came from the north side of Mellit, from Jebel Kithul area. He confirmed that the city market is still closed.
A reporter from the pro-government TV channel Ashorooq said that “the resistance forces attacked the city from the north and east side.
“They attacked the headquarters of the government forces, and seized the fuel items in the market. The Darufri rebel forces left Mellit on Friday at 2am, moving to the north-eastern areas of the city.”
The Darfur joint rebel forces consist of the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdel Wahid El Nur (SLM-AW), the SLM faction under the command of Minni Minawi (SLM-MM), and the Liberation Movement for Justice, led by Taher Hajar (LMJ-TH) and commanded in the field by Ali Karbino. They claimed full control of El Taweisha, Kalamindo, and Ailliet localities in North Darfur last week.
File photo: Mellit, North Darfur.
Rebel forces claim control of Mellit, North Darfur (13 March 2014)
'Sudan Armed Forces will liberate North Darfur soon’: Vice-President (12 March 2014)
Back to overview