At least two people were killed in the recent events in Zamzam Camp in North Darfur. One of the victims has been identified as Ismail Abakr Sabun, whose body was found inside the camp. IDPs blamed government elements for the killings. One displaced person told Radio Dabanga that the UN –African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) came and took the bodies.Zamzam Camp yesterday was still surrounded by police and armoured vehicles. The southern gate of the camp is still closed to vehicular traffic and travel to the city and beyond is blocked. The source in the camp reported that the displaced are living in a state of terror. The government had conducted house-to-house searches in Zamzam on Sunday starting before dawn. Schools and health clinics were closed in the camps and aid organizations were prevented from working, with the exception of UNHCR and UNICEF.
The number of people injured is variously reported to be about 17, while 80 people are detained. One camp leader claimed that the security apparatus has taken some prisoners to unknown locations to be tortured. About 150 families were looted of property including savings in cash and gold, electronic devices, and clothes. The security also confiscated 33 vehicles. Zamzam Camp has a population of over 80000.
Rebel commander Mohamed Haggar, leader of a splinter movement from the Sudan Liberation Army of Minni Minawi, accused the authorities of attempting to dismantle the camp, using their previous work as a blueprint. He told Radio Dabanga that this was an effort to repeat what happened last year at Hamadiya Camp, and was part of an overall plan by the government to dismantle the camps. Jumaa called on UNAMID to fulfill its mandate to protect the displaced. He also asked the International Criminal Court to conduct a thorough investigation of the events and arrest the perpetrators and bring them to trial.