Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Darfur and Sudan
Watch live

Sudan denies movement of extremists from Darfur to Libya

March 9 - 2015 KHARTOUM
Libyan security forces attend the graduation ceremony of a new batch of border guards (Mahmud Turkia/AFP)
Libyan security forces attend the graduation ceremony of a new batch of border guards (Mahmud Turkia/AFP)

The spokesman for the Sudan Armed Forces, El Sawarmi Khaled Saad, denied on Saturday that Libyan extremists are moving from Darfur to Libya.

Saad reacted to the accusation of the legal counsel of the Libyan army, Salaheldin Abdelkarim, who had told the press on Friday that a convoy of 70 lorries, carrying Libyan militants and weapons, moved from Darfur early that morning towards Libya.

According to Abdelkarim, the fighters were on their way to occupy the area of El Kufra, along the Sudanese-Libyan border.

The Sudanese army spokesman said in a statement to the Sudan News Agency that the information is unfounded, stressing that “Sudan is not home to any foreign armed groups”.

Last year, Libyan officials repeatedly accused Sudan in the past of supporting Islamist insurgents in the country.

Related articles:

Libyan commander accuses Sudan of supporting Islamist militias (30 September 2014)

Libya grounds Sudan military aircraft in El Kufra (8 September 2014)

Sudan embassy in Libya damaged in attack (30 June 2014)


Back to overview