Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Darfur and Sudan
Watch live

Minister: No coronavirus infections in Sudan, Khartoum prepared for 200 students returning from China

February 15 - 2020 KHARTOUM
File photo: Sudanair.com
File photo: Sudanair.com

The Federal Ministry of Health has affirmed that no Sudanese have been infected with the new Coronavirus and that preparations have been completed to receive 200 students returning from China, indicating that they are free of the virus.

Sarah Abdel Azim, undersecretary of the Federal Ministry of Health, confirmed that the WHO standard procedures for evacuating returnees and providing services, amenities, insurance and prevention are welcome and are being implemented.

She said that at Khartoum airport, rooms for sanitary isolation are being prepared, and the number of health personnel working in the airport, as well as networking with border states and monitoring their conditions.

Dr Babiker El Magboul, Director of the General Department of Emergency and Epidemic Control, and the Federal Ministry of Health says that the condition of 266 individuals who came from China are under constant monitoring through daily contact with the Department of Epidemiology.

He noted that a medical team has been sent to El Gezira twice to hear complaints from some cases.

Khartoum Airport alert level raised

The General Department of Emergency and Epidemic Control, announced the Federal Ministry of Health has raised level of alert and control at Khartoum Airport to the maximum degree, activated the thermal surveillance, as well as preparing a health declaration form at Khartoum Airport for arrivals from all over the world.

A shelter centre has been equipped with all amenities to receive students returning from China in accordance with the standards of the World Health Organisation.

Nazem Siraj, Director of the Minister of Social Security, confirmed the evacuation of El Salmabi School for Persons with Disabilities because of its identification adjacent to the school as an alternative centre to accommodate arrivals from China.

He pointed to the distribution of students to three centres with a commitment to provide transportation until the end of the school year in coordination with all relevant authorities.

The stranded students in Wuhan, China, said in a statement that they were informed of the difficult arrangements for renting the plane after the procedures were almost complete.

They called on the Sudanese embassy and the higher committee to set a time for the evacuation process and the place of quarantine, stressing that no infection among the students has been recorded so far.

China air bridge

Last week, the Chairman of the Sovereign Council Lt Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan directed an air bridge to bring Sudanese people from the Chinese city Wuhan, the stronghold of the coronavirus, to Khartoum.

El Burhan also called on the Ministry of Health to make adequate arrangements to receive the returnees in an appropriate manner.

Chargé d'Affaires Esameldin at the Sudanese embassy in Beijing said that arrangements had been made to evacuate 150 (number since updated) Sudanese students from Wuhan within 48 hours. He said that commercial airlines will be used.

WHO briefing

A delegation led by Sudan’s Minister of Health, Dr Akram El Tom, has participated the 146th annual meeting of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization (WHO)* in Geneva in Switzerland this week. Dr Al Thom reviewed the vision of Sudan on different issues and challenges facing Sudan and the world.

In his address, Dr Akram El Tom paid particular attention to the emergency health challenges and epidemics after spread of the Coronavirus and the measures taken by all countries to protect their citizens.

He also reflected the change in the country after the revolution, its willing to cooperate with the international community, and participate in strengthening the health situation in the world.

Suspected cases

In late January, the Sudanese Ministry of Health says that two people suspected of being infected by the coronavirus, had been identified by monitors at Khartoum airport.

Health Minister Akram El Tom that the two people concerned, one from Khartoum and another from El Gezira, arrived via Ethiopian Airlines and Egypt Air from China.

He confirmed that the suspected cases were identified through the precautionary follow-up and monitoring measures in place at Khartoum Airport. These suspected cases have since been discounted.


Radio Dabanga’s editorial independence means that we can continue to provide factual updates about political developments to Sudanese and international actors, educate people about how to avoid outbreaks of infectious diseases, and provide a window to the world for those in all corners of Sudan. Support Radio Dabanga for as little as €2.50, the equivalent of a cup of coffee.

 


Back to overview