Skip to main content
Independent news from the heart of Darfur and Sudan
Watch live

‘Families of September victims have received no compensation from Sudan govt.’

August 28 - 2016 KHARTOUM
Photos of martyrs of the September 2013 protests (Sudaneseonline.com)
Photos of martyrs of the September 2013 protests (Sudaneseonline.com)

The National Committee of Solidarity with the Victims of the September Demonstrations has challenged the Sudanese government to publish the names of the families that have allegedly received financial compensation.

The committee was established in December 2013, in support of the families of demonstrators who were killed and injured during nationwide protests against the removal of fuel subsidies and the ensuing price hikes at the end of September that year.

Siddig Yousef, prominent member of the Sudanese Communist Party, and chairman of the Solidarity Committee told Radio Dabanga that “none of the registered families have received any compensation from this government. The authorities announced earlier this year that 80 of the 84 families of people killed in the September 2013 demonstrations have received compensation. We now challenge them to reveal the families’ names”.

“A number of the families refuse the idea of direct compensation. They demand a thorough investigation and the perpetrators to be brought to trial,” Yousef said.

He added that the committee is preparing a petition to be signed by the families of the victims that will be submitted by a delegation of relatives to the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva next month.


Related articles:

Families of September 2013 protest victims refuse Sudan govt. compensation (18 April 2016)

Families refuse Sudan's settlement for slain protesters in 2013 (4 March 2016)


Back to overview