Fierce battles raged yesterday between government forces including the main Rapid Support Forces (RSF) militia and the Sudan Liberation Movement of Abdelwahid El Nur (SLM-AW) at Kobo area in southern Jebel Marra.
Waleed Abakar, the military spokesman for the SLM-AW told Radio Dabanga from the field that the movement’s forces managed to counter the attack by the government forces and militia. Abakar said the counter attack led to the withdrawal of the RSF, leaving their dead and weapons behind.
During their withdrawal, militiamen burned the entire Jonglei village, Abakar reports.
He said that wounded militiamen were treated at Kass hospital.
The SLM-AW claim that the movement’s forces seized 95 Kalashnikov assault rifles, 14 machine guns, three rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launchers and ammunition.
As reported by Radio Dabanga yesterday, the Sudanese Air Force bombed areas in Jebel Marra on Tuesday, according to the SLM-AW.
Abakar told Radio Dabanga that on Tuesday the Sudanese Air Force dropped bombs at areas of the Turung Tawra and Tugut Turti in southern Jebel Marra.
He said the aerial bombardment caused great losses and forced residents to flee to the valleys and mountain foothills.
As reported by Radio Dabanga earlier this week, Unamid Joint Special Representative Jeremiah Mamabolo has expressed his concerns about the situation in Jebel Marra after a two-day visit to the area.
Unamid reported in a press briefing that Mamabolo travelled by road to Golo in the centre of the Jebel Marra last week, to oversee progress on the establishment of the Mission’s temporary operating base in the area.