The Communist Party of Sudan (CPoS) plans to hold a peaceful march in Khartoum on Tuesday. The party leaders intend to submit a memorandum about the "disastrous consequences of 2018 National Budget" to the Governor of Khartoum.
Representatives of other political forces and civil society organisations will join the march.
Ali Saeed, the spokesman for the CPoS, told Radio Dabanga that all preparations for the march have been completed. “The short march is scheduled to begin at 12 pm from El Shuhada Square at the southern gate of the Republican Palace in downtown Khartoum. The participants will then proceed past the old building of the Khartoum Directorate on the University Avenue to the office of the governor.”
The party has notified the Khartoum state authorities of the plans to hold the march and present the memorandum to the governor. “We have also informed the police to ensure the safety of the participants.”
The spokesman emphasised that the party did not request a permission. “Handing a memorandum to official bodies is allowed by the law and the Constitution.
“Any political party party is entitled to express its opinion about the disastrous consequences of the 2018 Budget that means a disaster to the Sudanese people. According to the Constitution, we also have the liberty to cooperate with other political forces,” he said.
The party has not received any response from both sides so far.
Saeed said that the initiative received great support from various political forces, and youth and civil society organisations. “We do not intend to organise a demonstration, as the role of the party is limited to demanding the implementation of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution and raising awareness among the people concerning their rights.”